Category: Sukan/Sports


To ‘muller’ is a well-understood verb in colloquial German, if a shade out of date. Some 36 years after Gerd Muller last graced the global footballing stage at the 1974 FIFA World Cup™, the term is set for an explosive comeback in the German-speaking world, thanks to Gerd’s namesake Thomas. Following his outstanding performance in South Africa, the 20-year-old has been named Hyundai Best Young Player of the 2010 FIFA World Cup by FIFA’s Technical Study Group (TSG).

“Thomas Muller’s rapid rise through the senior football ranks has been nothing short of remarkable. A fringe player with Bayern Munich just two seasons ago, and with a first international cap coming only in March of this year, the 20-year-old striker has captured the imagination of fans everywhere with his pulsating approach play and vital goals,” the TSG said last Friday at the announcement of a three-strong shortlist for the prestigious award.

Muller’s bustling display in Germany’s 3-2 win over Uruguay in Saturday’s third-place play-off, where he opened the scoring with his fifth goal of the tournament, ultimately saw the Bayern youngster edge out fellow candidates Giovani dos Santos (Mexico) and Andre Ayew (Ghana) for the award. Muller is the third German player to receive the accolade after Franz Beckenbauer (1966) and Lukas Podolski (2006).

“The honour will be with me for all time. It’s a terrific confirmation of the work I’ve put in over the last year, and it’s a huge honour to be part of a group including the likes of Beckenbauer and Pele. It also points to the excellent quality of our youth development work in Germany, so I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all the staff at Bayern Munich and the Germany national set-up, and the coaching team, who have always kept faith with me. I’ve really enjoyed my football with the lads here,” said the overjoyed winner, although he confessed to one slight regret: “What I really wanted was to win the World Cup as part of a team.”

That attitude reflects Muller’s extraordinary maturity for a player who only burst onto the scene a year ago. This season, Muller has helped Bayern to a German league and cup double, and appeared in the UEFA Champions League final against Inter Milan. The 1.86m striker played a total of 66 matches for club and country in 2009-10. “Looking back, it’s been an extraordinary development path, which nobody could have foreseen – myself included. Normally you’d say a Champions League final would be the absolute highlight of your season, but then you go to a World Cup and take yet another step forward. It’s unbelievable. Back in May, when I left Bayern and joined up with the national squad, I had a good feeling from the off. I sensed every player was utterly determined to do well at the World Cup.”

The Bavarian-born player’s record at his maiden FIFA World Cup rates as truly impressive: in six appearances, he has scored five goals and provided three assists. Furthermore, his goals have come from precisely five shots on target in South Africa, the definition of clinical finishing. Muller is not only the solitary 20-year-old to hit the target at the 2010 tournament, but also the second-youngest player of all time to net five times at a FIFA World Cup finals. That record belongs to the 17 years and 249 day-old Pele at Sweden 1958.

FIFA.com users twice voted Muller their Budweiser Man of the Match (against England and Uruguay). The player was suspended for Germany’s 1-0 defeat to Spain in the semi-finals after receiving two yellow cards in previous matches.

During the tournament, numerous greats of the game queued up to heap praise on the rising star. “The lad has everything. He’s quick, he shoots with both feet, he’s good in the air, and he makes terrific runs down the channels. He’s a quick thinker, he reads the game well, and he has that precious nose for goal,” Gerd ‘Der Bomber’ Muller told FIFA.com when quizzed about his heir apparent.

The Best Young Player award has often proved the precursor to an illustrious career in senior football. Pele was the first recipient of the award in 1958, and winners since then have included Enzo Scifo (1986) and Michael Owen (1998).

Events in South Africa bode well for Thomas Muller’s future prospects and potential for achievement within the game. But as always, only time will tell, and the next step is up to him alone.

Immediately after Argentina’s 4-0 quarterfinal loss to Germany on Saturday, Maradona was understandably upset. And according to Argentina’s Deportes y Noticias, he let a group of German fans know it. A translation of their report:

Argentina national team coach Diego Maradona had an altercation with German fans after the end of the match that marked the elimination of said team from the 2010 South Africa World Cup.

Apparently upset over post game celebrations by fans located behind the Argentinean bench, Maradona approached and scolded them, until Dalma, one of his daughters, entered the field and contained him.

It’s a shame the man who has entertained us all over the last few weeks with his exuberance and delightful antics had to get involved in something like this. He would go on to say that this loss was “the most disappointing moment in my life” which shows just how devastated he must have been as he walked off the pitch and saw German fans in red and yellow wigs partying like it’s Oktoberfest in July right behind him. A sad end for the most interesting man of the tournament. Or anywhere else.

Tiger Woods’ rampant and recently-exposed marital infidelity did not stop him from being named the Athlete of the Decade by The Associated Press yesterday.

It’s caused his wife to stop wanting to be married to him, though.

A source close to Woods’ wife, Elin Nordegren, told ABC News that a “divorce is 100 percent on” and it’s only a question of timing and logistics at this point.

Elin Woods has already been seen without her wedding ring.

“It would not appear that Elin Nordegren is going to be standing by her man,” Kate Coyne of People told Good Morning America in an interview Wednesday.

“Sources have told us that Elin has told us the marriage is over and she’s looking to divorce Tiger,” even if at the same time, “she’s not rushing the process.”

“She’s going to take her sweet time. The way this is playing out [Elin Woods] wants all the dirty laundry to be out on the table before she signs anything.”

So she’s waiting for cocktail waitresses 12-25 to be named. A pretty good strategy, as her stands to improve as the list of Tiger Woods mistresses grows.

Rumors are swirling in their Windermere, Fla., community that Elin may already have kicked Tiger’s a$$ out and/or begun the process of moving out.

“He’s been coming by in the early evenings only for their counseling and therapy,” one resident says, but if this report is to be believed, it’s of little use.

It’s also being reported that Elin Woods and their kids – Sam, 2, and Charlie, 10 months – won’t be spending the holiday with Tiger, but far, far away.

The N.Y. Post said she wants to go somewhere “Tiger-free ,” while the N.Y. Daily News said she wants to “spend the holidays with her family in Sweden.

Kaka terus kekal di Milan

kaka1

MILAN – Bintang Brazil, Kaka menolak tawaran rekod dunia ke Manchester City kelmarin dan memberi jaminan untuk kekal di samping pasukan Itali, AC Milan.

Laporan media berkata, kelab Liga Perdana England terkaya dunia selepas diambil alih oleh Kumpulan Abu Dhabi United September lalu itu telah menawarkan lebih 100 juta pound (RM527 juta) untuk membeli bekas Pemain Terbaik Dunia itu.

“Buat masa ini saya tidak mahu mengubah apa-apa. Semua mesej yang saya terima meminta saya memilih dengan berhati-hati dan saya rasa akhirnya telah membuat satu keputusan. Ia sama sekali bukan mengenai wang,” ujar Kaka dalam satu siaran televisyen AC Milan lewat malam kelmarin.

Kaka, yang cuba dipikat oleh Real Madrid tahun lepas turut dikaitkan dengan Chelsea dalam media, bermain bersama Milan menentang Fiorentina dengan memperoleh kemenangan 1-0 Sabtu lalu terharu dengan sepanduk daripada peminat yang memintanya kekal bersama Milan.

“Ia sesuatu yang sangat luar biasa dan saya sangat terharu. Saya rasa amat gembira,” ujar Kaka.

Pemilik Milan yang juga Perdana Menteri Itali, Silvio Berlusconi – kehilangan penyerang Andriy Shevchenko kepada Chelsea dalam keadaan yang sama pada 2006 – kagum dengan pemain berusia 26 tahun itu yang mementingkan bola sepak daripada kekayaan.

City berada di tangga ke-11 Liga Perdana dan mempunyai peluang kecil di England dan Eropah.

“Wang bukan segala-galanya bagi Kaka, ada yang lebih penting daripada wang. Kami gembira. Kami memberi peluang kepadanya untuk menimbangkan tawaran tersebut tetapi dia mempunyai nilai yang tinggi,” ujar Berlusconi kepada televisyen Itali.

Dalam pada itu menurut City, perjanjian dengan juara Eropah tujuh kali itu tidak mungkin berlaku.

“Berdasarkan mesyuarat di Milan kelmarin, kelab merasakan adalah tidak mungkin kedua-dua pihak boleh mencapai persetujuan mengenai perjanjian tersebut. Perbincangan hanya mencapai peringkat awal dan pemain langsung tidak terlibat,” ujar satu kenyataan.

Pengerusi Eksekutif City, Garry Cook berkata, ketika kelab bola sepak Manchester City menunjukkan minat dengan pemain berkualiti bertaraf dunia itu, mereka berhutang dengan peminat bahawa pemindahan mesti melibatkan semua peringkat, secara komersial, dari segi kewangan dan komuniti besar Manchester City.

Peminat berkumpul dan bersorak di luar rumah Kaka apabila berita tersebut mula tersebar.

Peminat-peminat Rossoneri pula membantah tawaran tersebut dalam hujan lebat di luar ibu pejabat kelab sehingga menyebabkan kesesakan lalu lintas.

Ketua Eksekutif Milan, Adriano Galliani telah berjumpa dengan pegawai-pegawai City semalam untuk membincangkan minat mereka terhadap pemenang Ballon d’Or 2007 dan pemain terbaik FIFA itu.

City yang memasang cita-cita tingi yakin dengan peluang mereka untuk mengikat Kaka dan pada hujung minggu lalu, Berlusconi menyatakan adalah sukar untuk mendapatkan pemain itu.

City telah berjaya mendapatkan pemain Brazil, Robinho dari Real Madrid musim lalu dan beberapa urusan perpindahan pemain pada musim ini.

Kelab itu telah berjaya mengikat pemain West Ham United, Craig Bellamy dan pemain tengah Belanda, Nigel De Jong yang berpindah dari Hamburg SV ke City. – Reuters

Kereta mewah bintang bola sepak Manchester United dan Portugal, Cristiano Ronaldo, remuk selepas dia terbabit dalam kemalangan dalam terowong berhampiran Lapangan Terbang Manchester, semalam. Memandu Ferrari, Ronaldo melalui kawasan itu kira-kira jam 10.20 pagi dan terbabas sebelum merempuh penghadang di laluan berkenaan. Jalan itu berada di bawah landasan kapal terbang dan terletak di antara Wilmslow dan Hale, Cheshire. Bahagian depan kereta itu yang dianggarkan bernilai lebih RM809,000 remuk sama sekali akibat menyerap hentaman daripada pelanggaran itu. Bagaimanapun, Ronaldo, 23, tidak mengalami sebarang kecederaan.

LONDON – Pemandu kereta Formula Satu (F1) Renault, Fernando Alonso terpaksa menangguhkan kepulangannya daripada bercuti di Kenya selepas kapal terbang persendirian yang dinaikinya terbabit dalam kemalangan kecil.

Ketika kejadian, Alonso bersama anggota keluarganya baru hendak berlepas dari lapangan terbang Malindi ke Nairobi sebelum sayap kapal terbang yang dinaiki terlanggar sebuah bangunan berhampiran.

Berikutan insiden itu, sayap kapal terbang terbabit rosak teruk tetapi semua penumpangnya termasuk Alonso terselamat.

Alonso dan keluarganya bercuti di rumah milik ketua pasukan Renault, Flavio Briatore di Malindi untuk menghabiskan musim rehat F1.

Bagaimanapun Briatore tiada bersama dalam kapal terbang tersebut.

Jurucakap Renault berkata, kemalangan itu tidaklah serius seperti yang digembar-gemburkan dalam Internet.

“Cuma Fernando terpaksa menunda kepulangannya ke hari ini (semalam),” kata jurucakap itu.

Alonso merupakan juara dunia pada 2005 dan 2006 ketika bersama Renault. Dia memenangi dua perlumbaan pada musim 2008.

Ketika ini Alonso hangat disebut-sebut akan menyertai Ferrari mulai 2011. Tetapi pasukan dari Itali itu enggan memberi komen mengenainya.

– Reuters

sumber : utusan malaysia

Gerrard anggap inilah ‘barisan terbaik’ gegar EPL

NEWCASTLE: Steven Gerrard melabel skuad terkini Liverpool sebagai ‘barisan terbaik’ dia pernah bermain selepas kelab dari Merseyside itu menamatkan 2008 selaku pendahulu Liga Perdana Inggeris (EPL) dengan membelasah Newcastle United 5-1 di St James Park, kelmarin.

Namun, kata-kata daripada pemain tengah England itu seperti kurang disenangi Luiz Felipe Scolari yang tetap berdegil bahawa Chelsea akan bangkit memintas pendahulu itu yang bakal ditentukan pada dua tiga perlawanan terakhir musim ini.

badgelogo

Gerrard yang setia bersama satu kelab sepanjang kerjayanya sehingga sekarang tanpa bersembunyi berkata skuad yang wujud ketika ini adalah pasukan terbaik pernah dia beraksi.

“Jika anda di bilik persalinan anda dapat lihat wajah penuh yakin dan pemain hebat dari penjaga gol sehingga ke barisan penyerang.

“Kami kini sudah menguatkan peluang untuk memenangi kejuaraan liga dan perlu konsisten. Itulah kunci kejayaan mulai saat ini. Kami perlu berdepan tekanan jika mahu terus di hadapan dan ketika ini kami berada di landasan tepat untuk mengejar nama.” – Berita Harian

dpmm-fc

ALL the sacrifice and hard work that DPMM FC have put into their pre-season training might just go to waste if the Registar of Societies (RoS) does not re-register the Football Association of Brunei Darussalam (Bafa) as an association by next month.

The governing body for football in the country, Bafa along with 54 other youth, welfare and sports associations was suspended in late November for not complying with RoS rules.

If the problem of registration is not solved, DPMM FC cannot compete in the 2009 MSL season because Bafa is no longer recognised as an association by the International Federation of Association Football (Fifa) preventing DPMM FC and other local clubs from competing in any Fifa sanctioned competition.

Though Bafa’s suspension was reported last month, it was only yesterday that Football Association Malaysia (FAM) secretary-general Datuk Azzuddin Ahmad stated that unless Bafa resolved the matter, DPMM FC might not be able to compete in next season’s Malaysian Super League.

“We just found out about the matter and if it continues, DPMM FC will not be able to take part in next season’s MSL campaign,” the secretary-general was quoted as saying in Bernama.

“We have sent a letter to Bafa to explain the matter and it has until Saturday to give us an answer.

“If the problem is not settled, they cannot take part in the MSL as it goes against Fifa regulations,” he added.

When contacted yesterday, Bafa secretary-general Pg Hj Metussin Pg Metassan said that it had already made an appeal to the RoS.

“I can confirm that we have launched an appeal to get reinstated, but I do not know whether we will be successful or not or when we will get an answer,” said Pg Hj Metussin.

“As for the FAM sending us a letter, I do not know anything about that and we have not received anything from them,” he added.

The news must come as a surprise to DPMM FC’s newest signings, striker Bobby Gonzalez and defender Chan Wing Hoong. Both Malaysians were an integral part of the club’s pre-season training, with Gonzalez impressing the team during a trio of friendlies held in Singapore earlier in the month.

If Bafa does not get reinstated, the duo, along with the rest of their DPMM FC teammates, might have to play their football in the Brunei League Premier I.

The Brunei Times